Maisin Scholar Award


The 2018 Maisin Scholar Award application will close on February 19, 2018. Access the application here.

The San Francisco Education Fund believes every young person has unlimited potential to succeed when they are amply supported and provided equal access to opportunity. The Maisin Scholar Award Program was designed to identify and support students who are determined to achieve their academic goals beyond high school.

The Maisin Scholar Award helps students overcome the financial obstacles that stand in between them and their pursuits of higher education. The Maisin Scholar Award provides:

  • Financial support
  • Academic and career counseling
  • Internships and professional development opportunities
  • Encouragement and direction
  • Community and peer support

Maisin Scholars are average students with above average potential, committed to academic growth and career success. You don’t need to be among the academic elite, but dedicated to hard work and achieving great things. The Maisin Scholar Award is about helping you open doors to your dreams.

  • Eligibility & Selection Criteria

    Who can apply for the award?

    Any graduating senior in the San Francisco Unified School District who has plans to attend any accredited educational program in the fall of the year of the award is eligible to apply.

    What type of students do you choose for the Award?

    Although any SFUSD graduating senior may apply, the award is primarily designed to meet the needs of economically underserved students. Applicants are evaluated in many areas including attendance record, recommendations, and grade point average, but their essays, financial need, and performance during their interviews are given the most weight.

    Is there a minimum GPA (grade point average) requirement?

    This award targets students with a 2.0 to 3.5 cumulative unweighted GPA. We also encourage students who may have trouble receiving scholarships because of academic performance or immigrant status to apply. We value a student’s demonstrated commitment to their education more than the highest GPA.

    Can I apply if I do not have a Social Security Number?

    Yes! You do NOT need a Social Security Number to apply for our scholarship.

    Can I receive the scholarship if I’m attending a vocational or training program like a culinary, cosmetology, or technical training program and NOT a university or college?

    Yes! We want to help you pursue the education program that inspires you. All forms of education beyond high school are applicable, as long as it is accredited.

  • Applying

    I have questions about completing my online application. Is there anyone who can help me?

    If possible, ask a counselor, teacher, or parent for assistance. Otherwise, we are happy to answer any questions you might have. Please email us at

    How should I submit my application?

    Applications are completely paperless and must be submitted using our online application. We do not accept applications sent via fax or e-mail. The 2018 Maisin Scholar Award application will be available beginning October 1, 2017 and will close on February 19, 2018.

    How many students apply for the Maisin Scholar Award?

    We receive a little over 450 applications each year. Out of those submissions, we select 75 scholarship recipients.

    Do I have to submit financial documents like tax returns?

    Although we do not require these tax returns to complete the online application, we reserve the right to request tax returns or any supporting documents such as pay statements from your parents/guardians to verify your reported family income.

  • My Scholarship

    Can I only use my scholarship for tuition?

    The award is applied towards tuition and student fees. If your tuition is covered, or the scholarship exceeds tuition, the funds will be issued to you from the institution and may be used for school-related expenses such as books.

    When do I receive my scholarship?

    If you have submitted all of the necessary forms, we distribute checks in early August to your school. You will provide information of the office or department we should send the check to, but we will usually mail the disbursements to the Financial Aid Office or Scholarship Office at your institution.

    Is the check sent directly to me?

    No. The award is mailed directly to your school or educational institution.

    How is the money distributed?

    If you are attending a four-year college/university, we instruct your school to divide the award over the semester or quarters of the school year. For example, if you are attending a school on the semester system (such as San Francisco State), half of your scholarship will be applied towards your Fall tuition and the other half will be applied in the Spring. If you attend school based on a quarter system, we split your scholarship equally between all quarters you are enrolled.

    If you are attending a community college, then you are required to re-apply for your spring disbursement after the Fall semester.

    Do I still receive my award if I’m only going to school part-time?

    We will award you a partial scholarship based on your enrollment status.

    Will I still receive my scholarship if I change schools?

    Your award follows you wherever you go, as long as the institution you’re enrolled at is accredited. However, you must alert us of any changes immediately; otherwise your check will be sent to the wrong school. We are not responsible for sending the award to an incorrect school if you have not informed us otherwise.

    Is the Maisin Award a one year or multi-year scholarship?

    This is a multi-year scholarship of up to four years, but you must renew each subsequent year to qualify.

    What if I am transferring schools?

    If you are transferring during the Fall semester, indicate your plans to transfer on the Annual Renewal Application. If you are transferring to another institution for the Spring semester, indicate your plans to transfer on the Spring Renewal Application.

    However, if you are transferring institutions in the middle of a semester, then you should contact your financial aid office and inform them of your intent to transfer and have them return any remaining funds to the Maisin Scholar Award as soon as possible. You should then submit the following:

    • A completed Transfer of Schools Form
    • A copy of your acceptance letter (it should have your student ID number)
    • A copy of your new spring/winter semester class schedule
    • A copy of your Unofficial Transcripts from the institution you are transferring from

    Once the refund has been received (if applicable) from your former institution, we will issue a check to your new institution of transfer as indicated on your Transfer of School Form if it falls within our normal scholarship disbursement period.

    For any questions concerning this process, please contact our office at 415.695.5400 ext. 3007.

    What if I need additional financial support?

    Maisin Scholars may request for emergency funding for tuition or textbooks during any renewal period by submitting the Emergency Request Funds Forms and supporting documents. Your request is not guaranteed and is reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. Your academic standing, need, and history with the program will be reviewed in relation to your request. Please note that your request will not be reviewed until all documents are provided, and that we prioritize scholars who have not recently or ever received emergency funding. Emergency funding is extremely limited.