As a Teacher, I will:
• have a discussion (in person is best) with the volunteer prior to the first day of volunteering—to make SURE it’s a good fit—that what the volunteer would like to do fits my’s needs and vice versa. I will go over classroom and school rules at the initial meeting and exchange contact information.
• make the volunteer feel welcome and appreciated in his or her classroom.
• contact the Education Fund immediately if
volunteer is not a good match.
• respect the volunteer’s time. Tell them in
advance whenever they do not need to come in (e.g. field trips, testing, etc.)
and have well-defined tasks ready for them each time they come in.
• meet once a semester with volunteer to let them
know how they’re doing.
• contact Education Fund once a semester to let
them know how the volunteer is doing and respond promptly to any Education Fund
communications regarding volunteer.
• be realistic about how a volunteer can help; do
not place a volunteer with a student whose challenges are more appropriately
and effectively addressed by a professional.