The San Francisco Education Fund is currently seeking a Director of Development & Communications. Please find the position description and important details below.
About the San Francisco Education Fund
The San Francisco Education fund places volunteers in public schools and flexible funds in the hands of teachers. The oldest local education fund in the United State, the Education Fund serves high need student populations and school communities. The Education Fund receives financial support from generous individual and corporate donors, public and private grants, and a substantial endowment.
The Education Fund believes that education is more a verb than a noun. It’s an action that happens in the real, human exchange of knowledge between a caring adult and a young person. The Education Fund’s work focuses at that intersection. The Education Fund invests in teachers—the caring adults who are the frontline of delivering a great education for students—and brings additional caring community members into schools as trained volunteers working to improve the education experience for all students.
In San Francisco, 61% of the students served by the public schools are low income and 27% are English language learners. To break patterns of inequity and stimulate change that will lead to significant improvements in student achievement, the Education Fund concentrates its resources and programming in lower achieving schools with disproportionately large numbers of low income, English language learner, and would-be first-generation college students.
By giving teachers and students grants and scholarships, the Education Fund asks them what they need to succeed. By bringing individual and corporate volunteers into schools, the organization recognizes that it takes a community to deliver great educational outcomes, as even our best teachers and most committed students cannot do this work in isolation.
The Development & Communications Director is the leader of the Education Fund’s Development & Communication’s team, as well as a key member of the senior management team. The Development & Communications team is supported by the Development & Communications Committee of the Board of Directors and interacts frequently with the Chief Executive Officer to plan and execute the organizations’ overall fundraising and stewardship strategy, for which the Development & Communications Director has primary responsibility. The Development & Communications Director reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive development & communications strategy to cultivate a core set of champions for the Education Fund and San Francisco public schools overall
- In partnership with the CEO, develop a comprehensive a Development & Communications plan that includes events, grants & appeals, general communications and other stewardship opportunities
- Enhance organizational excellence by establishing operational benchmarks, timelines, and resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively recommending and driving improvements as necessary; set standards for accountability and measurements of success
- Serve as a key liaison to the Development and Communications Committee of the Board, working with the Committee Chair to plan meetings, set agendas, engage Board members, and communicate progress to the full board
- Drive quality execution of the development strategy to achieve results
- Develop a strong major donor program including the effective stewardship of our Board, Leadership Council and other major donors
- Grow the individual base through the research and cultivation of new donors, the implementation of strong appeals and the expansion of our Young Professionals Council (YPC)
- Plan, manage and execute high quality fundraising events including our signature event,“Back to School” gala and young professionals events
- Oversee the grants process from identification of potential funders, writing of quality grants, timely reporting and general foundation stewardship
- Cultivate corporate giving, in particular event sponsorships, corporate matching and in-kind contributions
- Drive quality execution of the communications strategy to achieve results
- Oversee the communications aspects of volunteer recruitment including development of messaging, collateral and outreach strategies as well as relevant staff and vendor management
- Develop themes, messaging, content and collateral to support our development and program efforts, including regular newsletters, reports and tailored communications
- Oversee for the Education Fund website’s content and technology
- Provide staff, Board, Leadership Council, and YPC with effective communication tools to support the Education Fund’s development and stewardship objectives
- Lead the management of a strong Development & Communications department
- Recruit, lead and supervise the development & communications staff as well as relevant independent contractors; ensure all team members have clear roles, receive regular feedback and have strong support/professional development systems
- Provide strong project management and effectively utilize Education Fund systems and technology to support work-planning, milestone & outcome tracking and general project execution
- Work with the CEO to set and manage the annual department budget
- Participate as a member of the leadership team
- Contribute to the policy-making and strategic management of the Education Fund
- Take the lead role on organization-wide internal matters and special projects including the effective organization wide use of Salesforce
- Represent the Education Fund externally at both the local and national level as requested
Required Qualifications: Minimum 5-7 years of experience in communications and philanthropy, with an understanding and creative sense about how to use effective communications to promote the philanthropic and program goals of San Francisco Education Fund. Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Ability and commitment to being part of a dynamic staff team. Entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility.
Desired Qualifications: Experience with content management systems and/or constituent relationship management systems (Salesforce.com).
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Download this page as a PDF.