“The Education Fund is a way for our whole community to be in partnership with our schools. The teachers know it, the administrators know it, the children know it - and they all treasure it.”
The San Francisco Education Fund believes that strong
public schools are critical to San Francisco's viability and that the community must take action to ensure their success. By acting as a bridge between the community and the classroom, the Education Fund increases the availability and impact of resources for students and teachers throughout San Francisco public schools.
In July 2009, the Education Fund merged with San Francisco School Volunteers, the largest source of volunteers for San Francisco public schools, with an emphasis on assisting schools with the most urgent needs. By joining our two longstanding organizations dedicated to improving public schools, we have integrated programs to address pressing education challenges in new and more powerful ways.
The new Education Fund builds on the proven work of each organization to utilize multiple approaches to meet student and teacher needs at individual school sites while also acting as a community catalyst for district wide change and school reform.
Our integrated approach:
- supports teachers with training and resources to enhance their classroom practice;
- matches volunteer skills with teacher requests;
- engages students to create positive changes in their schools;
- unites families, service providers, businesses and others to build stronger school communities; and
- informs district policy through community input and strategic partnerships.
Implementing both school site and district level strategies enables
the Education Fund to incubate and disseminate innovative approaches
to improving student success and build a shared sense of responsibility
to strengthen our public schools.